- Warbonnet Outdoors – This is a small company that is known in the camping world as one of the best. They have a unique design for their hammocks that allows the user to lay flatter (flat=comfort).
- Eagles Nest Outfitters – This is one of the bigger names in hammocks. You can find these hammocks in most outdoor gear shops. They make fairly good quality hammocks and many accessories but their hammock design is basic. I know many people who have these and they work great.
- Clark Outdoor Products – This is a manufacturer I have heard a lot about but never seen their product. They have an interesting design that includes flexible poles that give the hammock more structure. These seem like the Cadillac of hammocks, big and roomy with lots of features but with a bit of a weight penalty.
- Grand Trunk Goods – This manufacturer covers the gamut in hammocks. They offer everything from the very basic hammock ($20) to the deluxe model ($150). I have heard a lot of good things about these guys.
- Hennessey Hammocks – Tom, the owner, is one of the forefathers of the modern hammock camping world. They produce high quality gear and their customer service is second to none. Despite being one of the bigger names in hammocks, there is still a good chance that Tom will be the one to answer the phone if you call Hennessey.
These are just a few of the manufacturers of camping style hammocks out there and they all offer high quality gear. A little research will need to be done to determine which design works best for you. For this, I suggest checking out www.hammockforums.net. Also, keep in mind that many of these manufacturers are still considered cottage industries and they will be more than happy to talk to you via phone or email and help you determine what will work best for you. Over the past two years I have camped exclusively in my hammock and even converted three other ground dwellers to hammocks.
I urge you to “elevate your perspective” and try out a hammock. See you on the trail.